Book Week

Book Week came to Newington in Week 6 and boy was it fun!

Throughout the week, the boys engaged with the theme “Connect to reading, Reading to connect.”  We made a poster about connecting to each other through reading, making personal connections to the book and its characters, and using books to connect to both our real world and another ‘fantasy’ world.

We also studied “Kissed by the Moon” by Alison Lester and made personal connections to this early childhood story.  We displayed our connections to the book through a baby mobile hanging in our classroom.

On Thursday, the boys came dressed as a book character with whom they felt a connection.  The pinnacle of the week was definitely the book parade!

Here is what the boys had to say:

On Thursday I didn’t go to school wearing my school uniform, instead I was dressed up as a book character named Spyro. My mask was rather scary, I had fake claws on my shoes and I had fake claws on my hands. I also had a purple costume.  -Max

In Book Week we had a parade. There were winners. Gingerbread man won. -Will

Yesterday the school and all the parents had a Book Week Parade and we saw everyone’s favourite costumes. -Kelvin

On Thursday we had Book Day. I went as Sargent Baz from Caesar the war dog. We had a book parade. Book Day was excellent. -Tristan

A collection of the boys’ favourite books.