Selfie at Delphi

Richardo Zhangalopoulis

The enigmatic figure drew a deep breath, carefully selecting his words. He could feel the innumerable pairs of eyes on him, judging him, weighing up his worth. After a pause that seemed to last for eternity, he knew what to say. G’day mate. The words reverberated around the stadium. And it was that moment that I knew I, Richardo Zhangalopoulis, would forever be remembered for my brave words.

This an account of what happened at Delphi today. It was a wonderful place, and we checked out a sweet theater where I tested the acoustics by yelling our customary Australia greeting – “G’day mate”. In the morning, we all rose nice and early to check out of the hotel. After a short bus trip, we arrived at the museum, where we marveled at some sweet statues and friezes. We learned how the Greeks implemented some aspects of Egyptian sculpture in their kouros and kore statues.

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.10.24 PM

They also adopted the concept of the sphinx, but modified it so that it reflected their own culture. We then checked out some friezes that depicted: the battle between the Olympian gods and the giants; and the battle from the Trojan war. Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.11.57 PM

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.11.46 PM

Then our guide showed us some Ancient Greek music sheets, which were much more complicated than they seemed.Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.12.09 PM

Perhaps the highlight of the day was the Omphalos, the supposed ‘bellybutton/centre of the world’. Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.12.23 PM

It was a stone placed on the area where the two eagles of Zeus met, held up by this column.

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.12.28 PM

Our guide then showed us a cool bronze statue of an ancient charioteer, which was made by the same sculptor who made the amazing Zeus/Poseidon statue we saw the other day in the Athens museum.

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 9.12.36 PM

Then we went outside to see the actual site of Delphi, which Fin will now discuss.

Thank you Richard for reminding me how you beat me in English. I suppose that by now the faithful readers of the blog are beginning to tire of Delphi so I will keep this short and enthusiastic.

Delphi is the second most vertical place that we have tramped about. The truth is, as with most ancient sites, there wasn’t much left. Like these ancient sites, there isn’t much left of this blog post either. We visited the rubble formerly known as the Temple of Apollo. The main thing we got out of the tour of the site was knowledge concerning the topography of the site, and maybe those with a dash of imagination could imagine how it once was.

The rest of the day involved a drowsy bus trip with a stop to eat some Souvlaki and as always, a swim.

At the close of this blog, I pose to the readers a riddle, one which we have learned from one of the many stories recounted by Mr Chambers that concerns Delphi. And for bonus points, which Greek answered it correctly.

What has four legs in the morning, two at midday and three in the evening??????????????

That’s all folks!!

One thought on “Selfie at Delphi”

1. Must have taken you ages to come up with the title. I hope you’re bringing that kitten home for me. I’m sure I’ve heard the riddle, it’s a person’s life, isn’t it? Wouldn’t get the bonus points without resorting to Dr Google. Excellent work chaps. Glad you’re getting some exercise.